Saturday, November 4, 2017

Engine Overhaul

Back in August at #OSH17, I watched a Lycoming seminar on how to re-assemble the bottom end after an overhaul.  It didn't look easy, but it looked like something I could do.  So...

I'm going to tare down and ship off the engine for overhaul while I rebuild the canopy.

So... I'm going to pull the jugs, tare down the case, bag everything carefully, stuff it in the back of the Chevy Volt and road trip to Tulsa where I'll drop off the crank and cam with Aircraft Specialties, the case and the jugs with Ney.  I'm setting up an arrangement with an old RV-hand to do an bottom-end-assemble-assist when the parts come back with tags.


I've already dis-assembled an accessory case once, it wasn't hard and nothing to screw up.  As it's my frist time, I'd feel much more comfortable being a hands on helper.  Once the bottom end is one, I'll slap on the accessory case, new oil pan and jugs and good as gold.  And I'll spend probably half to a third as much as a typical overhaul.

No comments:

Post a Comment